BONNAROO MUST BE DESTROYED
By Michael G. Plumides, Jr.
I’m just back from Bonnaroo and after watching Margaret Cho blowing Oderus, I want to cut my eyeballs out of my head with a stainless steel paring knife. I’m only kidding. Bonnaroo was a fantastic experience. I’ll have tons of pics up in the next blog. Here’s the unadulterated interview with Oderus Urungus that ran on BLURT last Thursday as promised:
I had an opportunity to have a candid conversation this week with my old jailhouse roomie, Oderus Urungus, AKA, David Brockie and we discussed a number of issues and subjects ranging from Bonnaroo to Bill O’ Reilly and the Cuttlefish of C’thulhu having gay sex. Anyway, here’s the entire unscripted, unadulterated interview:
1. Do you feel that playing Bonnaroo is validating? Expand on your feelings about playing Bonnaroo at 3 in the morning? How does Oderus feel about all the “Americana” going on earlier?
THATS FINE WITH ME, ALL THE DRUNKEST MOST FUCKED-UP PEOPLE WILL BE THERE. AS FAR AS THE OPENING ACTS I MUST SAY THAT I AM NIETHER AWARE OR CONCERNED, THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE STEVE MARTIN BANJO BAND.
2. Expand on your relationship with Greg Gutfield, and Fox News late night TV show Red Eye. Do you want to tell about the treatment of the Cuttlefish (Dave told me earlier how everyone at Fox is scared to death Oderus may “drop trow” at any given moment and Bill O’Reilly might turn the corner impaling himself on the “Cuttlefish”)? Don’t you think it’s ironic that Fox News (the same right wingers that wanted to put your lights out twenty years ago) is now capitalizing on your notoriety? Is it because you’ve been “Bad businessmen” as you said on the phone?
GREG’S GREAT AND IT’S A TON OF FUN BEING ON THE SHOW. I AM PART OF THE RED EYE FAMILY AND IT’S REALLY COOL. THEY LOVE GWAR AND I DON’T GIVE A SHIT THAT IT’S ON FOX NEWS. MOST PEOPLE END UP WATCHING THE CLIPS ON YOUTUBE ANYWAY. BUT I WOULD SAY THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF US BEING GOOD BUSINESSMEN FOR ONCE. WE TOOK A ONE-SHOT DEAL AND TURNED IT INTO A RECURRING THING. I HOPE I AM ON RED EYE FOREVER (AS THE INTERGALACTIC CORRESPONDENT), AS LONG AS I GET MY OWN SHOW AT SOME POINT.
3. You said something about the Cuttlefish possibly being to blame for GWAR’s lack of mainstream success. Expand on that.
I JUST MEANT THAT ME WALKING AROUND WITH MY DICK HANGING OUT FOR 25 YEARS HAS IMPACTED GWAR IN BOTH A NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE WAY. SOME PEOPLE ARE GLAD I’M SPEWING CUM ON ALL OF THEM, AND SOME SEE MY MASSIVE GIRTH AND ARE FILLED WITH A JEALOUS RAGE.
4. How many times have you been arrested now for your costume? And what’s this about having problems with the Canadian passport office, now and in the past. I’ve heard stories. And being a Canadian National, why does Canada hassle you?
I HAVE ONLY BEEN ARRESTED “SANS PANTS” ONE TIME BUT HAVE COME CLOSE ON COUNTLESS OCCASIONS. THE CANADIANS ARE FINE WITH GWAR AFTER NOT BEING SO MUCH SO FOR A LONG TIME. ITS JUST THAT THEIR PASSPORTS EXPIRE EVERY FIVE YEARS AND ITS A REAL PAIN TO GET THEM RENEWED. THAT AND I AM SURE THERE IS A WHOLE FILE FULL OF OBSCENE GWAR SHIT THAT POPS UP EVERY TIME THEY PUNCH MY NAME INTO THE COMPUTER.
5. You’ve read my book, Kill The Music (Amazon), documenting the 1990 GWAR arrests. Do you think the book captured the moment in the last two chapters “The Salaminizer”, and “Aftermath and Dissent”? I was surprised to find that a professor at my alma mater wrote a published paper on USC’s website noting the event, as well as the 2 Live Crew incident. What are your feelings about being “notorious”?
I KNEW IT WOULDN’T BE LONG BEFORE YOU WORKED YOURSELF INTO THIS INTERVIEW! YES, I THINK YOU DID A FINE JOB, THOUGH I DIDN’T GET ENOUGH PAGE-TIME. YOU LEFT OUT THE WHOLE SCENE WHERE WE HAD GAY-SEX!
6. There’s only so much prison sex I can discuss in this forum. But in truth, after the infamous GWAR incident of 1990 in Charlotte, where you and I were both jailed for the alleged “obscene” performance, afterward I had people for months asking me if you and I had sex on stage with a priest. They didn’t understand that GWAR was like KISS, Alice Cooper, Conan the Barbarian, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Monty Python all rolling on the floor in feces and loads, albeit it fake feces and loads.
You know, the Charlotte southern-punk-noise band Antiseen, which are three parts GG. Allin’s Murder Junkies, have been discrediting GWAR for years complaining that your band doesn’t throw real feces or actually bleed on anyone like Jeff Clayton (the singer), or the late GG. What does Oderus think about that?
WELL THAT’S COMPLETELY ASININE BUT IF PEOPLE WANT TO EAT FECES, THEN THAT’S FINE WITH ME. WE’VE PLAYED WITH THEM A BUNCH AND I DON’T THINK JEFF REALLY FEELS THAT WAY. I AM A HUGE ANTISEEN FAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE WHETHER THEY LIKE GWAR OR NOT! IT’S NOT A FUCKING POPULARITY CONTEST, IT’S FUCKING ROCK AND ROLL!
7. Talk about your rekindled relationship with Brian Slagel and Metal Blade for Lust in Space. Do you attribute your recent success to the reunion?
PARTIALLY, I BELIEVE THAT, YES. I THINK WE HAD TO GET AWAY FROM METAL BLADE IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH WE MISSED THEM. THERE IS A LOT TO BE SAID ABOUT A LABEL THAT SURVIVES 30 YEARS IN THIS WORLD. IT’S GOOD TO HAVE A HOME AND WITHOUT A DECENT LABEL BEHIND YOU MISS A LOT OF OPPORTUNITIES THAT BEING PART OF A NETWORK AND FAMILY BRINGS YOU.
IT’S SUPER COOL SEEING BANDS LIKE CANNIBAL CORPSE AND GWAR GETTING THE SUCCESS THEY DESERVE FOR KEEPING IT GOING SO LONG, AND METAL BLADE IS A BIG PART OF THAT.
8. Speaking of reunions, there’s rumors that you’ll be appearing in Charlotte for the 4808 Club Reunion, to take place on September 17, 2010, on the 20th Anniversary of your arrest in Charlotte, NC. Does Oderus care to comment?
YOU KNOW THAT GIG IS FAR FROM CONFIRMED AND YOU NEED TO QUIT SPOUTING OFF ABOUT STUFF BEFORE IT IS… BUT IT WILL RULE.
9. The America Must Be Destroyed disc was about the Charlotte arrests. And the “Phallus in Wonderland video was obviously about your odyssey and ordeal in Charlotte, which was nominated for a Grammy. What are your feelings about what happened then, and in hindsight would you have done things differently in the early days?
I CAN’T SAY I WOULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY; I AM PRETTY SATISFIED WITH MY LIFE AND THE DIRECTION IT IS TAKING. I MAYBE WOULDN’T HAVE BLOWN ALL THE MONEY MY MOM LEFT ME ON DRUGS AND LOOSE WOMEN. BUT IT WAS FUN, HELL, AND NOW THAT I AM BROKE AGAIN I CAN FULLY EMBRACE MY STARVING ARTIST ROOTS.
10. With GWAR melting the polar ice caps by burning crack 24-7, what forecast does Oderus see for Earth in the near future?
AT LEAST ANOTHER 25 YEARS OF GWAR! THAT AND THE OCEANS WILL TURN TO OIL.
Keep an eye out for pics and commentary from yours truly at this year’s Bonnaroo Music Festival. I’ll be following up with Dave in Manchester , Tennessee as I’m covering the festival for BLURT this year, and as GWAR is sponsored by Jagermeister, he and I will be downing a shot or ten. After all, Bonnaroo must be destroyed, as must we.